Tuesday 1 October 2013

A Farmyard Sensory box!

Being a Pinterest addict I've been pinning lots of ideas for messy and sensory play, up to today I haven't actually gotten around to making a sensory box for G today was the day!  I got out his sand and water table that nanna and grandad bought cheap in the tesco sale and found some porridge oats on the pantry shelf then what to put in it? As it was the first attempt I got out some of G's happyland farm bits and set them up I also got out some measuring cups (from when I used to go to Rosemary Conley!) and a few scoops I'd saved from when he was on formula!


G got straight in there he found the cups and started scooping and pouring


He loved it when the scoops got hidden and then he found them (note for next time get small items to bury for him to find!)  Then he was fascinated with the sound the oats made when he sprinkled them with his fingers


But even better was the noise they made onto the mat I'd put down on the floor and brilliant to dance on!



He threw out all the toys so he could be one on one with the porridge!


Quite a bit ended up on the floor and on me!



so play moved down there with the toys again


Only once did he try to eat the porridge I think we may be finally getting through that phase!


All in all this kept G occupied for a good hour which is really good going the only other thing which captures his attention is usually cars and other things with wheels! Having put the mat down it was pretty stress free to tidy up too as picked it up and tipped back into table ready for the next time and a quick Hoover round the edges that escaped and we were done.  Also with the porridge being dry I think it's the first messy play I haven't had to carry him at arms length straight into the bath!  Win win!

I've already got my head buzzing for the next one for halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment